Health & Medical Information Links
Indianhead Medical Center: https://indianheadmedicalcenter.com/
The Indianhead Medical Center houses Shell Lake’s clinic, hospital, and 24 hour Emergency Room.
Spooner Health: https://www.spoonerhealth.com/
Spooner Clinic provides primary care services as well as a full array of specialty services to residents of Spooner, Wisconsin, and the surrounding area. The clinic is home to a Heart & Vascular Center, which is a satellite of Essentia’s world-class Heart & Vascular Center in Duluth, Minnesota.
Washburn County Health Department : http://www.co.washburn.wi.us/departments/health-human-services/
Promoting health and well-being by providing education, intervention, and care coordination including home care and public health services throughout Washburn County .
American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org
Provides information and services for cancer patients and their families.
American Hospital Directory: http://www.ahd.com/
General characteristics, services provided, financial information, utilization statistics, and other useful information.
Drug Rehabilitation : https://rehab.help.org/
From understanding addiction, to tools to help you find the right rehab facility for your, Help.org provides everything you or your loved one needs to start and succeed in recovery.
Department of Health and Human Services site of online consumer health information
The Internet Drug Index: http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/hp.asp
Information on over 4000 drugs. Find brand names, generic names, side effects, and information on alternative medicines.
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/
This website gives you access to the experience and knowledge of the more than 2,000 physicians and scientists of the Mayo Clinic.
The National Library Medicine offers this consumer health resource with topics including drug information, diseases, alternative medicine, and current medical news.
National Library of Medicine: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/mplusdictionary03.html
A comprehensive library of health information. Includes Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary and Encyclopedia.
Access the 9 million citations in MEDLINE and Pre-MEDLINE (with links to participating on-line journals), and other related databases.
The following online databases provide a wealth of information in a variety of formats. Some of the databases may require a password, available at the library, or access may be limited to in-library use.
BadgerLink offers Wisconsin residents access to business, health, literature, magazine and newspaper resources, and many are available in full-text. The following databases are among the many resources available through Badgerlink:
- Auto Repair Reference Center – Repair manuals for most major manufacturers of domestic and imported vehicles, with repair information for most vintage makes starting as far back as 1954.
- Consumer Health Complete – Includes more than 200 health and wellness reference books and encyclopedias, thousands of health reports, drug evaluation sheets, videos, pamphlets and other documents.
- Creativebug –Enjoy thousands of award-winning art and craft video classes taught by experts and artists with Creativebug.
Watch classes on your computer or download the free Creativebug app to use on your mobile device. It’s included with your library card!
- HeritageQuest – Research ancestors and historical sources dating back to the 1700s.
- Kanopy – Stream thousands of films for free, with your library card.
- MasterFILE Premier– A general reference database with nearly 1,700 publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. Accessed in BadgerLink’s Database List.
- NoveList – A readers’ advisory database with over 150,000 fiction titles, and over 4000 custom created articles and lists. Access Feature Articles, BookTalks, and Book Discussion Guides along with Author Read-alikes, Readers’ Advisory training content and a variety of other reader materials.
- NoveList K-8 – A readers’ advisory database for grades K-8 with collection of titles, BookTalks, Recommended Reads book lists and more.
- TeachingBooks.net – Thousands of resources for k-12 multimedia fiction and nonfiction reading activities for educators, librarians, students and families supporting language arts, book clubs, art educators, social studies and much more.
- Transparent Language Online – 100+ languages at your fingertips. Learn ASL, Ojibwe, Spanish, ESL, and more. Create an account with your library card number!
- EBSCOhost – A rich eBook collection of books, journals, and database content. Select the EBSCO Database List, then select the eBook Collection. Sign in at the top of the page.
*BadgerLink is a project of the Department of Public Instruction’s Division for Libraries, Technology, and Community Learning for the citizens of Wisconsin. Funding is provided through the Public Service Commission Universal Service Fund.
Spooner Memorial Library
421 High Street
Spooner, WI 54801